View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope4thebest View Post
Thanks, everyone for your replies !

Sandy, you're amazing to walk in 12 degree weather!! Do you have polar bear ancestry?
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions, experiences and support..
It is so comforting!!!....good medicine.........
hugs, and wishes for your comfort..
hope4thebest
No - but I do have long silk underwear, flannel-lined jeans from Eddie Bauer, a heavy duty long wool coat that comes almost to my ankles, a pair of gloves with a pair of mitttens over them, 2 scarves, earmuffs and a hat, etc, etc....We wrap ourselves up like eskimoes when it's that cold out.

I think the key is that my friends and I don't let much stop us from taking our walks in the morning. And we go out early every day, even on weekends. I've started to get used to the bitter cold, I must admit at first it was pretty awful.

I truly think that the problems with my legs and feet would be much, much worse right now if I didn't keep moving all the time. And when I saw Getson in NJ he said my hands were surprisingly strong for someone with brachial plexus RSD. That's because I have never stopped using them, even though by using them I cause myself a lot of head pain. My headaches just basically don't ever go away. Of course, I have 2 teenagers to clean up after, a house to take care of, a yard with extensive gardens, laundry, etc. etc.... How in the world could I exist without using my hands and arms all the time?

When my right leg started I didn't really want to believe that it was my RSD spreading. And I always keep it covered up so I can't see it. The pain and swelling and discoloration at times have been truly awful. What has helped my leg the most have been the lidocaine infusions. My doctor ordered those after my RSD spread beyond my upper right extremity. I also had a lumbar block. But lidocaine has been the best for my leg, it's taken care of about 50% of my leg pain and swelling and works for about a week and a half or so on about 30% my head and neck and shoulder pain (I wear a Fentanyl patch also). I also use a heating pad all the time, lots of Voltaren gel and Lidoderm patches, Flector patches, and get lots of sleep and rest. Because I don't work I try to take it easy most days (between my bouts of exercise and chores) and that likely helps as well.

I hope this extra info is helpful to you, and that you are able to find a doc to help you soon. You say that you are in between PM docs. I truly wish you the best of luck with that. It's so hard when you are WC, and each state is different in how the funds are administered. Please take care,

XOXOX Sandy
SandyRI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hope4thebest (01-14-2010)