View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 11:05 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Laura (and Debi)

Laura-
I forgot to answer you about agonists etc.
I take Requip 24 mg daily and Sinemet CR 600 mg daily and Sinemet standard 100 mg to start the day.

I, too, stoped supplements at the start.Once I was convinced that the effect was real, I added back in creatine a few days ago and yesterday restarted a multivitamin.

Debi-
Since you are reading this thread, let me add some info here in hopes that you can pass it on to someone who might make something out of it. Medline pulls up 30 hits on DXM with PD going back to 1991. There were even limited human trials. There is much more than control of dyskinesia, too.

But they missed something critical in those earlier studies, namely the fact that a little bit of DXM has a totally different effect than a lot. That seems to be well known in the drug culture, but the study below from 2007 is the first hint of it in the literature.

"Indian J Exp Biol. 2007 Aug;45(8):712-9.
Effects of dextromethorphan on dopamine dependent behaviours in rats.

Gaikwad RV, Gaonkar RK, Jadhav SA, Thorat VM, Jadhav JH, Balsara JJ.

Department of Pharmacology, Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences, Karad 415 110, India.

Dextromethorphan, a noncompetitive blocker of N-methyl-D- aspartate (NMDA) type of glutamate receptor, at 7.5-75 mg/kg, ip did not induce oral stereotypies or catalepsy and did not antagonize apomorphine stereotypy in rats. These results indicate that dextromethorphan at 7.5-75 mg/kg does not stimulate or block postsynaptic striatal D2 and D1 dopamine (DA) receptors. Pretreatment with 15 and 30 mg/kg dextromethorphan potentiated dexamphetamine stereotypy and antagonised haloperidol catalepsy. Pretreatment with 45, 60 and 75 mg/kg dextromethorphan, which release 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT), however, antagonised dexamphetamine stereotypy and potentiated haloperidol catalepsy. Apomorphine stereotypy was not potentiated or antagonised by pretreatment with 7.5-75 mg/kg dextromethorphan. This respectively indicates that at 7.5-75 mg/kg dextromethorphan does not exert facilitatory or inhibitory effect at or beyond the postsynaptic striatal D2 and D1 DA receptors. The results are explained on the basis of dextromethorphan (15-75 mg/kg)-induced blockade of NMDA receptors in striatum and substantia nigra pars compacta. Dextromethorphan at 15 and 30 mg/kg, by blocking NMDA receptors, activates nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons and thereby potentiates dexampetamine stereotypy and antagonizes haloperidol catalepsy. Dextromethorphan at 45, 60 and 75 mg/kg, by blocking NMDA receptors, releases 5-HT and through the released 5-HT exerts an inhibitory influence on the nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons with resultant antagonism of dexampetamine stereotypy and potentiation of haloperidol catalepsy.

PMID: 17877148 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]"

In the above "catalepsy" translates into "OFFS" and "potentiates stereotypy" to "ON". And activating dopaminergic neurons does a lot more than dampen dyskinesia, at least for me, But that dosage stepdown is easy to fall over.

See if someone can get it into a low-dose, time release form. Send me a sample and I'll let you know.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote