View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 03:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up One Carotid Artery!! : )

Hello! It is great to finally meet someone like me!! : ) I have been a marathon runner for 17 years. (I was five minutes away from qualifying for Bostons marathon 2008 so close..: )) I also was born with only have one carotid artery! Do not be scared! At birth your brain compensated for the lack of a secondary carotid artery. You formed more pathways in your brain to allow the brain to be well supplied with blood and oxygen. I recommend exercise! Keeping yourself healthy is the best thing you can do! Reducing your risks of blood clot, high blood pressure, plaque build up or stroke would be something to think about for when you are in your eighties. (Quit smoking or drinking if you do either or both!)
Don't get scared about one carotid..You are just unique like me! : )
FlyGirl33
If you have questions let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gershonb View Post
Hi everyone

I posted my history of concussions in another thread. Hockey, in welcoming me to the forum, urged me to get a Neuropsych evaluation ASAP. Well, I got referred for this, but in a weird way. I had an MRI of my pituitary, because the levels were going haywire. Turns out the pituitary is intact, with no tumors. My hormone levels are still haywire. What was weird was that the MRI revealed that I have only one artery that carries blood to the brain, on the left. On the right, where the other one is supposed to be, there is--nothing. My first thought was that I should have read through that entire parts list before exiting the spacecraft. The endocrinologist referred me STAT to a neurologist (only way I can explain getting a neuro appointment the next week) for referral for a full neuropsych workup. Evidently, the left one is a little bigger to take up the slack, but there probably have been some cylinders misfiring all along. Weirdest thing I've heard of in about three days.

Has anyone out there ever heard of having only one carotid artery? Anybody got a spare one, Right side, 1952 model?

thanks

gershonb
FlyGirl33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote