Thread: Muscle Spasms
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 09:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Talking

Hi DejaVu -

I have complete and severe muscle cramps as well. I have described this to my neurologist and to the Genetics doctor I met; and, both say that this is not typical with PN. I have been diagnosed with Charcot Marie Tooth, Type 1A. This is a genetic type of neuropathy.

I have been complaining about severe and sudden muscles cramps for about 8 years now. I was actually diagnosed with CMT after a particularly bad bout of muscle cramps. It's what convinced my family doctor to refer me to a neurologist. We had already gone over my diet, blood oxygenation and blood work repeatedly; and all seemed normal.

I don't know if these cramps are due to the neuropathy, or if it just so happens to be something else and we just happened to find the neuropathy first. I must admit that I have far more difficutly dealing with the cramps than the CMT symptoms. I dread them. I scare my family when I get them.

I get terribly nauseous, my body gets a huge shot of adrenaline, I get extremely hot, I shake (as if in shock) and have to apply excessive pressure to the cramp site. Sometimes my husband has to help me squeeze to help get rid of the cramp; and, that doesn't help right away. I actually sometimes walk around with a house coat belt in my pocket to use as a tourniquette when I'm feeling "crampy". I'm feeling sick now just thinking about it!!!!!

Anyway, EAT A PROPER DIET! Make sure you drink 4 - 6 glasses of fluid every day! Tonic water can be part of your fluids as the quinnine does help with cramps; but don't do that every day. Quinnine can be bad for you over a long period of time.

I take calcium (w mag & zinc), vitamin D, 1/2 iron supplement and B-12 daily (just enough to supplement my dietary intake).... I have been better since starting this vitamin regimen, thanks to the help from this site. I make sure to have fruits and vegetables, and yogurt with berries and almonds almost every day. Gotta love chicken too.

I also suffer from "wierdly" placed cramps and it has been confirmed that your sheath muscles can spasm! Your sheath muscles are like that thin skim of gunk when you take the skin off of chicken, so the spasm doesn't follow the same pattern as a usual big muscle cramp. I also cramp in the abdomen and everywhere else ... if it didn't hurt so much, it would be funny when the hands and fingers kink up in all directions.

If I have another major one I'm going to ask my doctor to refer me to someone (anyone!) else for more testing. If anyone reading this (Mrs. D?) has any suggestions as to the direction to go in, I would appreciate the input.

So good luck DejaVu. Believe me when I say: I TRULY SYMPATHIZE! I know that your medical issues are far more complicated than mine; but, I hope that something here might help you out.

Di
Diana Dilley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote