View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 08:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am much meaner than most of you...I always say I want another to feel it for a day or 2...5 minutes will not teach them anything.

I do really like my doctors, and yes, there are times I wish they could feel what I feel. Every time I see my neuro, he says, "So, when do the headaches start, and when do they stop?" How many times do I have to say, "I go to sleep with it, I wake up with it, you tell me, WHEN DOES IT STOP, WHEN DOES IT START????" It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that entire sentence, does it? My PCP says, "You look so good, you are in such good shape you will live another 50 years!" And I say, "Feeling like this, thanks!" They don't get it, and for many of us, they can't see it, so therefore it may not exist.

Same for my celiac disease. Just once, I would like every person who asks me if I can eat just one bagel, knowing I can't ever have it, just once I want them to deal with a gluten reaction and know how it feels.

On those days when you are walking, and your foot doesn't lift, they look at you and smile, like...oops, whacha doin there! Duh, nothing funny about it.

Yet we deal, everyday, every week, every month...we are the strong ones, most of the jokers could never walk a mile in our shoes!

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dahlek (01-15-2010), Hockey (01-15-2010), SeamsLikeStitches (01-18-2010)