View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 04:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank for the suggestion regarding Elavil. I will bring that up the next time we talk medications. All of her doctors have been very hestitant to presribe her anything to help with the sleep/anxiety issues. The last person we met with was concerned that the side effects of most of the antidepresents are the same issues we are already dealing with. We didn't want to make them worse and in some cases the side effects are worse in people wiht MTBI. Based off our short experience with Ativan - I would agree. It had totally the opposite effect on her and made her have 4-5 hour long panic attackes. It was awful. The other sleep aids we have tried didn't help her fall asleep and made her more lethargic the next day.

The whole sleep issue has been very frustrating for us. We go round and round on it with the doctors and none of them seem to want to help her with it. They all insist that good sleep hygiene and a rigid schedule will solve her problems. We try and try but it doesn't help. They make me feel like this is teenage/behavioral/parenting issues and not a concussion issue. We never had issues before her head injury. She was my easy kid - driven, motivated, straight A honor student and very accomplished equestrian (no, she didn't fall off her horse, she stepped on the end of a heavy areana rake and whacked herself in the head!).
nancys is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote