View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 05:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Help Diagnosed on 50th birthday- Newbie

Hi. I am new to your forum, although I have been reading the posts for some time now. You see, I was quite sure that "something" was wrong as I have been experiencing pain, numbness, weakness & tingling in my upper extremities since 1996. It all started in 2 fingers, on my right hand and over the years has spread to both upper extremities, to include the fingers, hands, and arms up to the shoulder. I actually saw a neuro back in 1996 but went home empty handed. Saw another neuro about 2 years later but again was told nothing was wrong with me. So, I have endured this discomfort for the past 14 years. Finally got mad, saw a new neuro and told him I needed him to be "my hero" and keep looking until we found an answer, no giving up!! After 3 MRI's, evoked potentials, 14 vials of blood and an EMG/NCS we have a diagnosis: mixed axonal and demyelinating peripheral polyneuropathy. Finally validated on my 50th birthday!! Part of me feels happy because I feel vindicated, I have my "I told you so" moment. Another part of me is apprehensive because I don't have a clue as to what the future holds. Looking to you experts for wisdom and advice. I have seen a lot of good information shared on this forum and hope you can enlighten and encourage me. Feel free to ask any questions that might help you, help me!! God bless.....
kpRN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote