Thread: Gastroparesis
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

If you have suffered from restless leg, likely none of the dopamine ANTagonists will sit well with you. They are all likely to cause movement disorder.

Yes, Mirapex, or pramipexole does affect the autonomic system, but at the low doses generally used for RLS, 0.125 to 0.50mg, usually it is tolerable. It can cause nausea and hypotension.

It is a matter of weighing the good versus the bad. I have no choice since my RLS is so darn bad, I would die of exhaustion.

It doesn't pay to take a dopamine ANTagonist for your stomach and then a dopamine agonist for your stomach.

Most drugs are autonomically active....with the exception of some antibiotics. Even the -mycin drugs, can cause arrhythmias. They also gum up the cytochrome P450, 3A4 enzyme, which metabolizes many drugs, such as ambien, the benzos, and many others. Charts are available to see what drugs are metabolized by what enzyme.

I don't know what drugs you take, so it is hard to say if any of your meds could be causing gastroparesis. With autonomic neuropathy, drugs are generally not that easy to manage. It is really hard. You will have to look up all the actions and side effects. That is what I do. I have to remind docs who focus on only one system and tell them, well, that drug will do this to the other system. Then they usually say, 'oh your right'. Diltiazem for example is used for esophageal spasm, which I have. Sure it works fine in folks with no hypotension. I have hypotension usually....lately the BP has been labile. But, anyway, Diltiazem would stop esophageal spasm, but cause hypotension and I would go down like a rock.

When the autonomic nervous system goes, we have to manage all the usual functions of the body. I can't stand upright for too long.....my body prefers to recline. I have to fight that as much as I can, but I get breathless, dizzy and feel like passing out.

The less the better in terms of drugs.

Pain meds really knocked out my GI system. It is functioning nominally now with no pain meds, but, that is not easy for me. I am in a substantial amount of pain. I don't have a choice. My system won't function anymore.

If drugs won't do, perhaps they can put in a stimulator. If I am correct, they can insert some kind of pacer.

Others not so bad:
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote