View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Red face caution re: seizures

Hi...

just read through this... a quick note...

all these things can have psychiatric side-effects:
- seizures
- successful seizure control
- seizure meds (whether effective or not)

Children are neurologically more sensitive as their brain is still evolving... and some children more than others just due to individual differences, and so greater attention is needed with meds.

In general, many people with seizure disorders end up mis-dx'd as psychiatric cases for years, which just makes them worse as many psychiatric meds, not just antipsychotics, are contraindicated.

So, i really feel the seizure issue needs to be given some first line attention until you have good understanding of what experiences of hers are seizure-related, and subsequently, achieve good seizure control - with medication that at very least does not worsen any pre-existing (before ANY meds were involved) psychiatric symptoms.

the behavioral stuff and premeditative thoughts (killing animals, stating intent to kill you etc) make me thing there is likely some sort of psychiatric pathology (can coexist with seizures). those aspects are not inherently bipolar at all however. she could have another type of disorder.

unfortunately the psychiatric labels are easy to acquire and hard to ditch... sigh. and yes, any or all could easily be garbage diagnoses i would say... i she perhaps could benefit at some point from a long term stay as inpatient - for longitudinal observation and complete and careful RE-evaluation.

i also agree with Mari on getting therapy for yourself and if your 18 year old is amenable, legally adult or not, that is still very young... it might be good to even do some therapy together as well as apart. (just a thought).

my best wishes to you and all your family.

~ waves ~

Last edited by waves; 01-15-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: redundancy with something Donna said i hadn't seen
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (01-16-2010)