View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 03:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default we are not all the same

Boann,

This study resulted when the doctor noticed that when she tried to wean patients off an agonist, they exhibited certain symptoms and she decided to investigate. The patients she was taking off of agonists had trouble with impulse control - that's why she stopped the treatment. The study also says that not every patient reacts the same negative way to agonists

In fact, the study postulates about 14-17% of patients suffer from agonist side effects. From the study:

In recent years, there have been increasing concerns about DA side effects, and particularly the fact that they can cause uncontrolled, compulsive behaviors known as impulse control disorders (ICDs). ICDs are reported to occur in about 14 percent to 17 percent of PD patients who use these drugs, and also occur in people who use DAs to treat other medical conditions. In 2006, Dr. Nirenberg published research linking the use of DAs to compulsive eating; others have linked the drugs to behaviors such as compulsive gambling, buying, hypersexuality and Internet addiction. Patients are often unaware of these addictive behaviors, or may not discuss them with physicians because they are in denial, embarrassed by their symptoms, or unaware that they are a medication side effect.

"Impulse control disorders stemming from use of dopamine agonists can be detrimental to a patient's financial, social and physical well-being. Our research identifies another concern -- namely that some patients experience severe, even intolerable, withdrawal syndromes when their dosage is reduced. In this context, it's very important that physicians and their patients use DAs judiciously, and exercise caution when they are tapered," says Dr. Nirenberg.

You must be one of those who is not in the 17%. If you are in the 17%, you will understand why this study is so important to us.

I am similar to you; symptomatic with a tremor I hid for 6 or 7 years, I was finally diagnosed in 1999 at age 41. I took only agonists for the first 6 years; 3 on Mirapex, and 3 on Requip. During that time, I divorced my husband of 19 years (a good thing done compulsively), but also moved 3 times, bought a house and car, spent sleepless hours on the computer, lost my job, lost my health insurance, gave up my car, sold my house, and gambled and mindlessly spent away the proceeds of that house. Sinemet saved me. After I came back to reality, I again began small doses of Requip under the close watch of an excellent physician because it is the only thing that controls certain symptoms.

Agonists are great drugs that can go very wrong in some peoples' brains. You are very lucky; I worry everyday that I was not able to prolong the time before I started on sinemet, but without making the change I just might be dead today because of some sort of reckless behavior or falling asleep at the wheel.

I am 52 years old, 11 years post dx; 17 years symptomatic and progressing slowly (knock on wood), with, my doctor tells me, probably a normal lifespan ahead of me. I do not like the fact the our only options are agonists, levadopa, or dbs. But that's the truth - and it's also the truth that not every PD patient is the same. We all have our personal devils and ways to deal with those devils.

I fail to see why you are extrapolating your experience to everyone else.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote