View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 03:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default myfortic

myfortic (novartis) is cellcept (roche).
mycophenolic acid is the active ingredient.

this medication has been shown to be no better then placebo in two randomized controlled trials in patients with MG. and as far as I know is not widely used in other autoimmune diseases. it is mostly used in the solid organ transplant setting.

yet, there are some neurologists and patients that will tell you that it has worked wonders for them.

I personally refused to even consider taking a medication with such a significant side effect profile, without clear evidence (and actually the opposite at this point) that it really works.

there is only one study that I know of, with Imuran. and this study showed that in patients that had a good response to steroids, and were put on Imuran as a steroids sparing agent, there was a good and stable response within a year or more, when there was a close follow up, and adjustment of medication according to the symptoms. this study was done on pretty classical acethyl choline receptor seropositive patients, and it is hard to infer from it regarding other patients, who are less classical.

and you are right it sucks to be ill and to have to take any medications. and the illness has to be worse then the treatment in order for it to be justified.

hope this info. helps,

alice.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jana (01-16-2010), kristy (01-18-2010)