View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 04:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default my personal oppinion

I may be wrong in what I am saying, as it is based on my experience with one patient, that happens to be me. so don't take this as scientific.

but, the way I see it. patients with MG have an abnormality in the ability of their muscles to contract, when "ordered" to do so by the responsible nerve.

taking mestinon, makes the signal from the nerve more "clear and strong", but it can't overcome the entire problem, at least in some patients.

so what happens is that it causes you to use the limited ability of your muscle, thinking that you can, when you actually can't ( I hope what I am saying is clear and makes sense).

so, you take the mestinon and feel like popeye who has taken the spinach, or superman, who has his special suit on, when in fact you are still much more weak then you think.

and then using all your limited muscle energy (being fooled by that extra strengh you think you got from the mestinon), you end up crashing big time.

it took me a very long time, and numerous frustrating epidoses, to finally understand that. and even now when I do, I can't resist the temptation to do more then I know I can and should, even when I know the price.

don't know how true this is for you, but hope this helps.

alice.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (01-16-2010), Joanmarie63 (01-16-2010)