View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 02:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I really needed that help carrying my bags, and if I hadn't just stopped abruptly, & sat down- no one woulda realized it.[/QUOTE]

HI, thanks for sharing the reality of invisible disabilities, especially neuropathy pain. My PD friend usually exclaims that I should wear a sign saying "NOT as good as I look". We laugh, because her tremors are worse, so people eventually do pick up on this. I go for the no pride method, asking for a wheelchair in advance of any trip, or bring my cane. Works wonders in the drug store.

I agree with Mrs D. the need to dress depressingly to allow the doctors to at least see a picture of something not quite normal, is a good strategy. Folks just do not take our words at face value. Whether friends or medical professionals. It is always a surprise to me how heartless and self-absorbed the general population can be. I have had to develop a sort of walk the talk attitude in public, and the opposite in private with friends. Friends have a tougher time handling my health challenges than I do. Their fears are greater than mine. I wish you luck in getting some kind of system to portray the right level of dysfunction in the right situation. But first and foremost, avoid identifying with this part. It is supposed to be the theater of life playing itself out, rather than a person who forgets she is in the theater of life. I choose to believe I am completely well underneath my issues. It helps to pretend this is true, when I am alone, at least most of the time. Best Wishes - TT
tinglytoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote