View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 07:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Bit late but...

My experience with agonists were appalling.
When I went off them it was abruptly with no ill effects and i was on the highest dose of permax. Do they still prescribe it?
I had visual hallucinations within a week of commencing agonist on a low dose.
The agonist also didn't seem to benefit akinesia or rigidity either (though sinemet gave me a fluidity of movement immediately with just 50 mg.)
In retrospect within no time after starting agonist alone i became an impulsive, boorish, paranoid basically "not very nice to be around" person.
3 yrs after commencing agonist began taking sinemet, whether that increased my obnoxious behaviour I guess we'll never know but I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
After a yr of taking medication for my "bipolar disorder" was treated by a new neurologist who abruptly ceased the agonist with no ill effects.
I reduced then ceased the bipolar med soon after as i became more aware of stories related to agonist drugs and realised that it had affected me.
Either that or it was a helluva coincidence that i could now think clearly.
Now I'm back to my old cautious self and feel very strongly that agonist did and can affect anyone and I'm remembered by neuro as the woman who was even told she had bipolar disorder that didn't!!
P.S. Stopping the agonist suddenly wasn't IMO a brilliant idea on neuros part although stopping it there's no doubt in my mind was!
Sorry folks if I've gone off track a bit but just wanted to voice my experience.
Don't post here much anymore as I now have a spinal cord injury which has taken the "I have PD thing" aside a bit.
Lee
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
paula_w (01-17-2010)