View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 12:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Fascinating... you have read my thoughts. If too much cortisone can make a person with addisons worse.... and muscles weak ...as in cushings.. why do steroids get prescribed in elephant doses to MG people ? Even if antibodies are not found?

For 2 or 3 years now Dr had me on low dose steroids for adrenal insufficiency. By the time Endo was found - it was too late to test accurately. Any insufficiency I had was mild so he sent me back to GP. But I got weaker and weaker. I found out later that I was on a high dose magnesium supplement at this time. Steroids were increased to help my breathing but I had a worsening instead. This was 2.5 to 5 to 10mg Pred. It made no sense. The Neuro said this repsonse was 'in my mind' and could not happen unless 20mg Pred was used. It was not 'typical'.

But it DID happen. And scared me. So I was put back to the cortisone used for addisons - fast acting but short lived- thinking it must be addisons. And I was told to increase once again when breathing became worse. Now I am trying to taper down as an inner instinct is telling me to.That if I have managed all my life with some type of CMS or MG - then I can still manage IF my body is left ...alone.. and free of steroids....or reduced ... Not sure I can achieve it. Not sure which Dr is right. I just listen to myself these days... And for some reason my thyroid meds and steroids upset the MG applecart. That the peaks and lows of this rapid and short lived adrenal type cortisone maybe worsening me ? I have asked Dr after Dr and no one can answer my question. But it has been niggling at my thoughts for a while. Maybe I was misdx all along and MG was 'it' from the start ? Which I had managed for years with nothing at all. Yes - I would get weak and tired before others .... but I had learned to live like that and knew no other way. Very interesting.

Last edited by xanadu; 01-17-2010 at 12:42 AM.
xanadu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote