View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 01:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Laura;
My first impulse is to recommend trying Sinemet CR or Stalevo to get a longer, more stable level of levodopa. This is only because I have been able to use a single regular 25/100 carbi-levo to get started in the morning and accompany that with 50/200 CR, giving me at least 7 hours of really good time. Before going off, I take another 50/200 CR, and in my case, accompany that with a 25/100 CR. This gives me another 6 or 7 good hours.

The impulse to suggest for you what works for me is strong, but probably inappropriate. Because you are the age of my children I have to admit some fatherly feelings toward you, and that could get in the way of my giving you truly objective advice. I am 72 years old, having been diagnosed 9 years ago and have been on carbi-levo from the start with consistently good results and apparently slow progression (OK, degeneration). Also, I am bradykinetic, posturally unstable, non-tremor dominant. Although I have no plans for seriously exploring DBS this year, I realize that waiting too long could put me in the position of no longer being a candidate.

Since my current neuro has moved, and he has referred me to the top MDS in town, I may be confronted with more seriously considering other treatment approaches when I see him.

Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote