View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

As one who endured academic struggles during my sophomore year and again in college, the most important advice I can give is go slow and try not to set too many expectations. As she gets better, if she chooses to get more intense, let it be her choice. Try to help her find her comfortable speed and intensity. Also. let her find her comfortable subject matter to pursue.

Try to learn to read her body signals. Mostly her eyes and facial expressions. Ask her how she is doing in comparison to what you see in her face. My wife can read my face quite well. If we are visiting friends, she can tell when I have reached my limit. Sometimes, your daughter may not be able to define how she is thinking/feeling at the time, but later, she will be able to tell what was going on in her mind.

Sometimes, my mind gets stuck trying to get any kind of thinking traction. I will be looking at my surroundings trying to figure out what I am supposed to be doing. This is usually a result of getting over-stimulated or what some call "over-attending." In over-attending, the brain is trying to do too much at once, maybe a thought that is too complex or too many variables in a thought process or too many stimulations to process. .

If she tries to attend class, she will likely need to sit in the front so she does not have visual distractions. She might need to use foam earplugs to reduce the background noise and especially the students talking in the back of the class.

She will likely be very easily distracted. Note taking may be difficult if not impossible. Some teachers may have too much 'clutter' on the walls and in the front of the class room. This can be a distraction.

She may do best with multi-sensory learning. This is when two or more senses are used to grasp information, visual and auditory, auditory and tactile (note taking), practical ( hands on), etc.

My daughter struggled to learn from classroom work but quickly excelled when her studies included hands on practical experience. The visual and tactile combination are her strong learning modes.

You might do some googling for multi-sensory learning. There are some good on-line resources.

Common problems could be visual processing and auditory processing. A neuro-psych assessment can diagnose these areas.

The body and brain is going through many changes during these early teen years. Try to take it slow so the brain can heal without stress.

Spending time with or working with animals or small children can be helpful. They have much simpler communication needs that can be very stress relieving.

Although the physical issues may appear to be more limiting, the cognitive issues are like the part of an iceberg that is underwater. The cognitive issues are what make PCS/MTBI survivors the 'invisible wounded.' The emotional stresses of trying to rehab the physical body can complicate the cognitive issues. Physical stresses can help with rehabing the body. They can be detrimental to the cognitive rehab.

I have a friend who is paralyzed from the waist down. Her limitations are far easier to endure than the cognitive struggles of PCS/MTBI. The stress of 'word finding' and other communication dysfunctions disrupt the ability to compose one thoughts. The cognitive sense of being literally "lost" in thought can be immense. Some say we need to "stop" to think. This means we need to stop moving. Stop looking. Turn off sounds (radio/steroe/others talking.), try to ignore tactile sensations, just so we can get our mind to focus on a simple thought.

I routinely will close my eyes so I can try to focus on a thought or even hear what someone is saying.

I used to be able to drive my truck, eat, listen to talk rag dio and find an address on a map, al at the same time.

Now, when my wife is driving (I don't drive anymore), we need to pull to the side of the road, turn of the radio, turn off the air conditioner fan, just so I can focus on reading the map.

These may or may not be symptoms of your daughter. Keeping an open mind to accommodate any symptoms like these will greatly reduce her stress. When I got the neuropsych assessment report, I finally could see that my brain was broken. I was not going crazy or such imagining my dysfunctions..

Be ware that simple tasks like going to the grocery store, may be over whelming. The enormous amount of visual stimuli can be a problem.

So, just love her, hug her when she is willing, be quietly with her if she wants, and be patient.

My best to you all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote