View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 07:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Hi gbsb...I just found a website regarding the long-acting tramadol. It is approved here in the U.S., called Ultram ER. Here's a link:

http://www.ultram-er.com/

I'm going to ask my doc about it on Monday. Where did you see the info on tramadol containing acetaminophen? I looked it up and didn't see that anywhere...but would be interested to know. My doc switched me from Ultracet because my blood pressure was starting to go up...I didn't realize that acetaminophen affected blood pressure. I'm still not completely convinced it does, as mine didn't change after I switched. I don't use the tramadol on a regular basis, though...but if it does have an effect, and the plain tramadol has some component of acetaminophen, I may not want to use the Ultram ER. I'll ask him about it on Monday and let you know what he has to say.

It might be a good time for you to take a break from the narcs for a while, too...I've been on Vicodin or Oxy IR for over 4 years now, and I usually monitor how "attached" I'm getting to them by taking a break from them pretty often to see if I have that feeling of craving them at all. So far, no problem, other than the pain! If I'm in a flare, then I just have to take a day (or more) off of my regular routine.

Victoria, have you found any stomach problems with the long-acting tramadol? I do get nauseated from both the tramadol and the Ultracet. That's the best advantage I've found to the Oxy IR...it doesn't bother my stomach at all. I did develop a tolerance to it pretty quickly, though, which is frustrating.

Good discussion, and good timing for me, as I am needing to make some changes...pain control is not happening these days. Thanks!

Donna
Donna,
This is just coming off the top of my head- I need to look it up to make sure- but I think that tramadol is the generic form of Ultram (in the US), which doesn't contain acetaminophen. The tramadol that does have aceta. is called Ultracet (name brand) here and the generic name for the form with Aceta. is called tramadol/APAP. That's what I use for pain. I'm looking at my bottle right now and it says, "this medication contains acetaminophen. Taking more acetaminophen than recommended may cause serious liver problems".
redjpwranglergirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote