View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 12:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknerd View Post
Hi Jana,

I don't know...Maybe I did it wrong...I'm supposed to take a deep breath, then count 'while' I'm exhaling, right? Or do I take a deep breath, exhale all the way, then count as I inhale?

Oh yeah! EVERYTHING comes out of my nose when my speech gets nasal. This is actually kinda gross, and sorry for the image, but since I've developed the tongue/palate weakness, I've vomited, once because of a stomach virus, and another time because I brushed my teeth and gagged. Anyway, both times, all of the vomit came out of my nose...none from my mouth...When I drink liquids, they drool from my mouth (can't close lips all the way) and they come out of my nose...Even food has come out of my nose! lol...

Oftentimes, when I brush my teeth, I check on my throat, and make sure I brush back there because there is always food lodged in the folds where my tonsils are. It's gross, but it's my daily maintanance routine...lol...

I also sound like I've had a stroke all the time too...

Hey, when your voice is nasal, do you ever notice weird ear symptoms? I get a lot of crackling and whooshing when this happens...It makes my speech even worse...

Oh yeah, has your gag reflex ever been paralyzed when your speech was really bad? This used to happen to me all the time...That's one thing that the prednisone got rid of...It happened once when I had an exacerbation, and went to the hospital. I didn't even know about it until the doctor stuck a spatula and touched my ovula, and I didn't respond at all...Kinda scary!

ttys!
Nicky
OH MY GOODNESS!! I've never talked to another MGer with these same "oral" problems. I always vomit through my nose, now -- arrgghh. It is so disgusting to have bits of food come out that way. The bits seem to go on and on as you blow your nose for a couple of days afterwards. *sigh*

I have food ALL over my mouth -- around my teeth, tonsils, EVERYWHERE -- and my tongue doesn't work really well at keeping it where it is supposed to go. But, since I drink all of the time, I am sort of cleansing it and swishing it down, I guess -- like you do at the dentist's office.

I have NO gag reflex AT ALL. When I was taking Claritin, I accidently took TWO one morning -- FREAKED and tried to make myself THROW UP by gagging with the end of my toothbrush -- NO GAG. I called the pharmacist, he said two wouldn't hurt me.

YES, I have those noises in my ears -- but, I thought it was because I have NO jaw joints AT all. My TMJ joints have totally disintegrated -- in fact that is what they thought was wrong with me at first, before it was discovered that I have MG.

I also cannot GARGLE -- my lips don't close well, either -- I DROOL on my pillow at night -- I "snarl" when I try to smile.

BTW, yes, I "think" you are supposed to count AS you EXHALE -- that is what I did.
DesertFlower (01-18-2010)