View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

My inlaws live about 5 min. away in an independent apartment; there is a step-up allotement for assisted living and full nursing care if needed.
My FIL has Parkinson's; my MIL has Altzheimer's (doesn't know the full diagnosis; it's better that way, although my FIL insists she's fine; denial is not just a river in Egypt).
We oversee the med ordering, fill their med trays, I make dr. appts and drive them to them, also to grocery, other shopping. We go to their place 1x/wk for dinner/play cards.
It is very stressful. I worry about their well-being constantly, and watch as they decline gradually. My SIL is out west without any cares about her parents at all...grrr.
I try my best to do my best...my DH gets my venting...and we both deal with it the best we can...with tears, hugs, and love...
It's more difficult with the MS sxs, esp the cog fog...I really have to pay attn to the calendar to make sure I am up with the appts, and also try to keep up with their med orders...this is getting more difficult, and I might eventually have to allow DH to handle the med orders as my brain has increasing difficulty dealing with this...thank God I am not alone with this...
Prayers to you all who have this burden...we can learn from the ones who have gone before...my inlaws have taught me so much, esp the last few years. they are devoted to one another...and show DH and me how to make a llife of quality
AZjanie (01-18-2010), SandyC (01-19-2010), tamiloo (02-16-2010)