View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 12:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Maddy--
I've have full body/internal RSD and have had at least 3 surgeries since RSD/CRPS (2 of which were after I was diagnosed). 2 nose surgeries and 1 ear surgery. I understand the fear, but I also understand the necessity of surgery. My nose surgeries were to help me breath (and on a side note, not breathing well was causing a lot of sinus infections) and my ear surgery was because I had ruptured my ear drum--- causing hearing loss and lots of infections.

The key for me has always been making sure I had adequate pain control during and after surgery.

Most anesthesiologists will at least know a little about RSD and the "during surgery" part of it, will probably not be the biggest issue-- my challenges came after surgery.

The surgeon who did my ear surgery 7 weeks ago, completely understood RSD/CRPS, but my previous ones did not. So, rather than try to go into detail with a surgeon who just doesn't get it (and probably doesn't want to learn), I'd express what my concerns were-- how RSD/CRPS relates to what they are doing, how they can help and possible ways to alleviate problems. Most surgeons get that pain can slow down healing, causes immune system weaking-- which can increase the risk of infection and no surgeon wants that. So, come up with a plan before hand hand to deal with that. With my most recent surgery, my surgeon kept me in the hospital for 3 days (normally this would have been an outpatient surgery), had me on IV fluids, IV meds and IV steriods. That way my body could begin to recover before I was on my own. When I was released from the hospital, I was put on a prescription anti inflammatory, in addition to regular pain meds.

Also, know what to expect. With my last two surgeries, I've had a longer than typical recovery time. My surgeon said all bets were off in terms of my recovery time --due to the RSD/CRPS my body does things in its own timing--- BUT, at least I knew that going into this surgery. Is it frustrating ? Yes, definitely, but not unexpected. Also know that there is the possibilty you may have an RSD flare. I didn't have any RSD/CRPS flare with the nose surgeries, but with the ear surgery, I have had several major ones. However, being that the ear surgery was, by far, the most "intense" surgery, I expected the possibilty it might happen. Come up with a plan and rest as much as possible.

Keep all of your doctors, nurses, etc informed and let them know what need-- what has worked, what hasn't, pain levels, IV sites, etc.

Good Luck !

L2L
love2laugh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kakimbo (01-20-2010), loretta (01-20-2010)