View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Terms for strange symptoms

I experience some symptoms that I have given names to. Has anybody else got some with their special names?

Mine are:

Brain fart: When you try to do one thing and something different comes out, usually a speaking or typing verbal mix-up.

i.e. I was trying to say eloquent but kept saying elegant.
If my wife asks which way to turn, she knows to wait for me to correct my answer. I will often say left when I mean right.

The thought is, " Did that come out of me? Phew"

As soon as I hear the word I said, I know it was wrong and will try to correct it. It took me quite a few tries to get eloquent to come out.

It can also be something like starting to pour milk into the box of cereal. Been there. Done that. Stopped before it got messy.

Spaghetti brain: When all of the words or thoughts are zooming around in my head but I cannot get them sorted out so I can speak or type them. Sort of like 'word finding' on steroids.

Sometimes, I will try to talk or type and notice that they are scrambled and need to be edited. Those who don't understand my condition will give me very strange looks. If my wife or a friend in there, they will often acknowledge my excuse that my injured brain gets scrambled from time to time.

I don't have a name for this other symptom. It is when I see a new word with a difficult pronunciation. My mind get obsessed at trying to pronounce it. I just looked up the spelling of {HEW. The definition was <Pronunciation: \a voiceless bilabial fricative usually followed by a voiceless (y)ü or ue sound; often read as ˈf(y)ü\.> I had to try to pronounce bilabial and connect it to fricative. Now I have a pair of words to my brain to obsess on.

Does this happen to anybody else? What can we call it? Or am I just too weird?

posts your 'special' terms. Some times, it is family that come up with the term.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote