View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I agree with vini.

It is far more important for her to understand the NEW her than it is for her to keep up with her classmates. She will need to understand that some of her friends will not accept the new her. This is NOT her fault. Even some teachers will not be appropriately accommodating.

She will hopefully be able to grow a thicker skin for those who refuse to understand and accept the new her. I lost many friends after my serious concussion in 4th grade. I did not understand why they were abandoning me. It would have been very helpful to understand that my personality had changed. Now I know that I was no longer a "sweet little boy" as my mother's terms expressed it recently.

I asked my wife what kind of personality changes she saw in me after a concussion in 1999. She said I became apathetic. I was usually very directed and responsive. Instead, I would not respond to many things. Sometimes, I would finally respond and blow up because the issue became overwhelming.

Previously, I would get home from the job of the day and go to my office to make calls and contact prior leads to see if I could close a sale and schedule a job. After the concussion, I would finish my work and get home and zone out. I was no longer the aggressive, pro-active self-employed person that I had been for 25 years prior.

So, watch for these personality differences and the reaction of others around her. She may need a social worker or therapist to help her with these issues.

Let her know that you are there for her and willing to help her work through these personality struggles and the social implications. Let her know that you do not fault her when she fails. Let the hugs flow freely and wildly whenever she is struggling. Try to learn to laugh with her at some of her struggles. It is a sort of sighing laugh as in "Oops, I did it again."

You might even come up with a code word or phrase for recognizing those times. It would just mean you understand her struggle without making a big deal of it. A offhand remark could be something like, "I guess we have to wipe that off our shoes." This would be more appropriate for a guy. Something softer would be better for a girl. Maybe, "Drats, It's just another run in your/my nylons."

You might also suggest that she be aware of the friends who like a quieter and slower social life/setting. These friends will become a valuable resource for her. The ability to just sit quietly and have girl talk or study talk without a stereo blaring will open up new opportunities for friendships.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote