View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Hi Mark,

I have the same problems talking. The clinical names I've been given for these problems are speech aphasia (say the wrong word) and speech apraxia (can't find or say the word).

I see a speech therapist, but it's not always easy to improve in these areas. This is especially true in my case because I'm usually unaware I've made a mistake. When people are staring at me oddly, I figure I've said something wierd, but I don't know what. My family and friends sometimes point out my errors.

Sometimes my mistakes are close or related like "launch" for "lunch" or "fork" for "knife." Sometimes there doesn't seem to be any connection at all like "rug" for "oven."

We have discovered that some of my mistakes occur because I can't hold more than one thought or think ahead. For example, if I'm helping my daughter get dressed and then start to think about making her breakfast, I'll say, "Put your waffles on." I meant socks, but my mind has wandered into the next thought. I have to work very hard at staying in one moment at a time. Not an easy task for a former multi-tasker.

Of course, I'm aware when I'm struggling to find a word. The trick here is to abandon the word and use one with the same meaning. As you know Mark, this can be easier said than done as the TBI brain tends to get stuck in ruts and doesn't let go easily of whatever it's trying to grasp.

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote