View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Everyone should get vision testing if you've had a tbi/pcs

Hi Everyone,
After 13 months of suffering with mtbi, & pcs (I fell, hit my head on the sidewalk while walking my dog New Year's Eve morning 2008) I saw Yet another dr in my myriad of clueless medical professionals...a neuro-opthalmologist who diagnosed me with yet another issue...convergence insufficiency. I have not been able to drive for over a year now due to depth perception issues nor read very well - eyes jump / cognitive issues etc. Daily headaches! Public places, especially the grocery store are hell...visual & hearing issues etc. Google-ing "convergence insufficiency" I found a site "NORA" (Neuro-optometric rehabilitation association) that deals with vision issues after tbi/pcs. This sent me to a Behavioral Optometrist who not only confirmed the convergence insufficiency but also diagnosed "Post Traumatic vision syndrome" PTVS, which can occur from a tbi. ??? and my dr's never told me this??? After official vision testing (not the typical 20/20 eye chart whihc I'd already done - futily I must add) I was diagnosed as processing at a 7 year old level (I'm 57 - was smart & articulate b.f.(before fall)) along with issues with my ambient vision. In addition, I found another site neuroskills that deals with tbi/vision issues etc. That site under the vision section has several articles explaining the PTVS and also the issues that occur when ambient vision is skewed. These articles described my issues EXACTLY!!! I am on to something now....
I'm beginning vision therapy in 2 weeks...am hopeful that I found the right direction to help correct or at least improve my issues. I'll post back after a few sessions to update everyone.
At the very least...find a behaviorial optometrist that can check your vision for these possible issues and offer a treatment program.
Can anyone explain why the medical community refuses to look at these other alternatives....needless to say, I'm frustrated and disgusted with most (not all) medical dr.'s. and am convinced I'll have to find the right therapy/programs myself as the dr's are clueless
Thanks for listening!
Anneteaem
Anneteaem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
adougall70 (12-04-2013), chingas (03-06-2012), EsthersDoll (05-16-2012), karenmamo (03-16-2015), Theta Z (04-24-2010)