View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I was rereading what I'd written earlier in this thread, and thought I should update something about the Kindle.

They now have a Kindle for PC program (free download) that you can put onto a Windows computer and use that to read Kindle books.

I've got it on one of my computers, and really like it. Came in handy when the battery died on my Kindle1 awhile back and I wanted to read my book and couldnt get the Kindle1 to stay on even with the power cord plugged in. (problem fixed itself once it got a good charging)

The program is really nice, the text can be made fairly huge. I wish I could use a text-to-speech program with it, but so far I havent been able to find any info about any TTS programs that are compatible with it.

I got a Kindle 2 for Christmas, and love the fact that it has the text-to-speech program on it. I've used that a couple of times, it's not quite as nice a TTS program as the one that I have on my computers, but it's do-able.

The K2 is also lighter than the Kindle 1, so I like that aspect. Stupid numb hand gets tired easily sometimes (that's putting a crimp in my crochet and knitting activities too)

Right now, aside from some Stargate fan fiction that I've gotten on the internet that I've emailed to the Kindle, I've been reading the complete works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...trying to at least... (still on the first book) I'm a big fan of the movies that Basil Rathbone was in, so reading the books is kind of fun. I just imagine Basil Rathbone as Holmes...(havent seen the new movie yet that has Robert Downey Jr in it)

I think I read Hound of the Baskervilles when I was younger, but I dont remember if I ever finished it. That's probably the only one I ever read, so it's kind of neat to be reading them now. I'm probably appreciating the stories more now than I would have when I was younger.

I'm probably going to skip ahead to Baskervilles once I'm done with the first book. Either that or I'll read The Final Problem (that's the one with Moriarty)

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote