View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNcrps2 View Post
My RSD has spread hands, arm, shoulder, scapula, feet, leg. Taking Lyrica, cymbalta, lidoderm patches and oxycontin. Spreading continued so Dr. stopped oxycontin and started Methadone. I was upset about narcoticsl, but FINALLY my pain has decreased, less sensative, not turning purple constantly, walking is easier! I am so happy. I guess i have to just except the fact that i have RSD and i may need to take medicine that I dont like but that helps me. I still do epsom salt baths or foot baths which really help. Hope this helps someone else. momof4

Hello Mom!
I've had rsd since 83, with TOS, then a TBI and four discs, etc. thrown in by another accident in 98.
I've gone from the "useless burnout meds" that don't do much except "cloud the mind", to being put on methadone @ 60mg/day. I was told to think of it as blood pressure medication.
I didn't care, but, it surely helped! I weaned down to 10/15 mg/day.
Then, came the 2nd accident.
Back up to 100mg/day!

Now, I've weaned back down to 50-60mg/day. along with a few other things *cymbalta, diazepam, migraine meds, as addendum's.

I simply don't understand why someone would take Oxycontin, or worse, Oxycodone, which really mess's with your head, when you can take methadone.
It has it's drawbacks, as they all do.
It can be a breathing retardant.
It's not candy, you've got to be careful with it, as with all meds! If you have a good day, take one less, and hold it for "breakthrough pain".
That's what I've been taught.
And, it works well for me.

Of course, I still curl up in the fetal ball, and am not so happy. But, welcome to the life of RSD! Right?

Also, methadone is so inexpensive!
If your insurance pays for your meds, you might prefer oxycontin.
But, think. If it were to come out of Your Own Pocket, You'd switch to methadone, instantly!
No need to be greedy.
So, 20 years of methadone have really done me well.
I could not imagine a better med!

pete
asb
AintSoBad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dreambeliever128 (01-23-2010), RNcrps2 (01-23-2010)