View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Red face Dear Steve

i mute the commercials too... systematically. i hate it when i am watching one tv with headphones, and one of my parents is watching the other, and i mute my commercials, and the other tv is running commercials but i can't mute it.

yes lots of them are really raunchy - especially the late night infomercials. the ones that bother me most are the weight-loss/muscle tone ones. ugh. esp. for those electro-stimulation ones.

and a lot of them make me mad how they market things.

here the med commercials are kind of the opposite to what you describe. but they are sort of dangerous because of that. eg. for pain killers (NSAIDs like ibuprofen, that can cause serious side effects) - instead play down the side effects. they tell you of a new formulation that is easy on the stomach... no more pain and no tummy trouble... vitality... light as a spring breeze. but right at the end, a voice sped up so much as to be barely intelligible says something like "this product can cause side-effects that may even be serious. read the information pamphlet fully before using." that makes me mad because these are OTC's and hardly anybody reads the entire pamphlet... and then uses them inappropriately.

there is another one for absorbent/deodorant pads for "minor urinary leakage" - that starts out with a woman saying "now that i'm over 30..." - one version even shows 2 women saying "oh, you too huh..." like this is a normal or even common thing. is it is NOT NORMAL for women over 30, or even over 40 or 50 to have "leakages!" a few encounter this problem but it is easily corrected, often just with special exercises. Point is, these women need to see a doctor, to rule out any other problems and treat them... not be put in diapers! i keep meaning to write a letter to the health board... or the networks... or... i dunno.

i am sorry you have to deal with the opposite kind that scare the life out of you ... certainly not very peaceful watching. and yes there are far too many commercials... we have to pay for tv... you have to wonder what the deal is with the commercials.

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (01-23-2010), Brokenfriend (01-23-2010)