View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Interesting article.

It mentions that glutathione decreases by up to 80% in males and does not decrease at all in females after a brain injury.

I wonder if this is a result of progesterone which is not available in males but is in females.

The glutathione is mentioned as being neuro-protective. This is the same characteristic they find in progesterone. Could it be that the progesterone is neuro-protective by maintaining the proper level of glutathione?

The article did not mention anything about glutathione being useful long after a brain injury.

Its use for Parkinson's appears to be as a restorative compound that enables the brain to restore proper function lost due to an improper glutathione process. It is available as a nutraceutical in denatured whey protein (whey protein that has been heated as in pasteurization).

Its more immediate effect from IV infusion appears to be as a mood stabilizer as it appears to function similar to valproate, sometimes prescribed as Depacote. As PCS subjects can tend to be prone to mood disorders, I wonder if consuming denatured whey protein will have the same effect without the needle complication and expense?

My research suggests that B-12, folic acid and trimethylglycine (TMG) are helpful as they support the body's ability to produce Methionine which is necessary in the production of glutathione.

There are those recommendations of B-12 and folic acid that I have been raving about.

TMG is helpful at reducing homocysteine levels but can cause an increase in cholesterol. It is suggested that adding B-6 to the B-12 and folic acid is a safe way to naturally maintain homocysteine levels.

Grains, nuts, seeds, and meats contain small amounts of TMG, so they can be consumed to help with a natural balance of TMG. TMG is destroyed when food is cooked or processed, so the raw grains, seeds and nuts are the best foods for TMG.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote