Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

tried many alternatives
chelation
glutathione iv's
every supplement you can imagine.

might have made a difference in slowing progression but had little affect on symptoms

bottom line to me is you need dopamine, can't get around it. mucana is just another dopamine source. no way to replace dead/damaged neurons. the blood brain barrier prevents most chemicals from reaching your brain.
imho worth pursuing supplements/lifestyle that can reduce the need for meds but i think it's impossible to go without meds. i went about 5 years after diagnosis without meds and 10years later can get by with 100-200mg sinemet and 200-400mg cr sinemet daily.

anecdotally, i was very athletic for those 5 years playing soccer twice/week, running daily but stopped because i had to start meds but refused to take dosages sufficient to let me to continue to play soccer, i wonder if that was a wise move because once i stopped playing progressed faster. maybe just a coincidence.

so i see the challenge in finding the right neuro and the right meds/dosing to allow you to have the highest quality lifestyle rather than trying to find some magic bullet. and exercise, exercise, exercise and hope for that magic bullet. levadopa is technically natural:
L-DOPA (L-3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine; Levodopa; Sinemet, Parcopa, Atamet, Stalevo, Madopar, Prolopa, etc) is a naturally-occurring dietary supplement and psychoactive drug found in certain kinds of food and herbs (e.g. Mucuna pruriens, or velvet bean), and is synthesized from the essential amino acids L-phenylalanine (PHE) and L-tyrosine (TYR) in the mammalian body and brain. L-DOPA is the precursor to the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine (noradrenaline), and epinephrine (adrenaline) collectively known as catecholamines. Aside from its natural and essential biological role, L-DOPA is also used in the clinical treatment of Parkinson's disease (PD) and dopamine-responsive dystonia (DRD).
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (01-25-2010)