View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Kelley,

I read your post about your experience at work....... oy..... new dentures and answering phones at a call center.... definitely a major challenge.

It does sound like your gums are shrinking quickly and that will cause your denture to become loose. I would suggest that you see your dentist for a soft reline which will take up the loose space in the denture. The more space there is the more adhesives you'll have to use. Once the healing is complete, either your dentist will recommend a hard reline or a new denture. It all depends on how the healing goes.

Have you tired a denture adhesive called Secure? It comes in a cream and adhesive strips.

I know you are struggling with this flopping denture and your line of work...... by any chance do you work by yourself or are you in a group of other people? The reason I ask is........ during the healing phase, sometimes you may have to take your denture out to talk on the phone for long periods of time. I know it's not easy to talk with out them, but they can't keep falling out either. I know....you are gasping for air right now... I'm sorry...!! :-(( But if adhesive is not going to hold it in until you can get it relined, I honestly don't know of any other remedy.

Also, other than the healing phase, it's not a good idea to sleep with your denture in. I know again I'm torturing you..... sorry The palate is not designed to have something covering it 24 hours a day. The oral tissue needs to breathe or you can develop a yeast infection on the palate and it is very hard to get rid of. Did your dentist talk to you about this.... he should have.

I know I'm not being much help here...... crap I'm sorry <;(
Please try to have an optimistic outlook because in spite of this present situation, you really are doing great and it will get better!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by humarock View Post
Hi Bryanna,

Thank you for your input, it is most welcomed. I am adjusting but the gums seem to be shrinking quickly. I thought I was good to go back to work today, in a call center...well, my jaw was KILLING within the 1st hour.

I chose to use Seabond as I could cut the strips to my needs...THAT takes practise and I reapplied three times and finally told my boss I was done, so I'm back on leave, thank goodness my company is cool with it. I will call my dentist and have him look at all this now that I'm more 'aware' of what is going on with the dentures. Trial and error.

Do you have any suggestions on adhesives? Seabond is good but not really easy to put in quickly as you have to cut to fit. And I do have concern about 'glue' going into my body specially when I'm just getting the infection out of my body...LOL...

Thanks for any advice on new products that I may not have spotted or that you have heard works well.
Kelley
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote