View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 02:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Platelet Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog lover View Post
Mrs. D,
I am hopeful my Dr. will let me at least try taking an aspirin everyday even if it means having to have labs done every couple of weeks. I have read that as long the platelet count isn't over 750,000 some hemotologists prefer that treatment method. Last time I had mine checked they were 417,000. When I was DXed they were around 600,000
Thanks,
Kendra

Kendra,

I am glad you figured out the possible connection with your medication.

I found my old blood tests (I had my blood tested every year at my previous job since I worked around hazardous chemicals) and my platelets ranged between about 300,000 and a little over 400,000. The normal range according to my test paperwork is 140,000 to 400,000.

I am curious what my current platelet count is and will ask to get it tested next time I need any other kind of blood test.

There are lots of things that cause platelet counts to go up: high elevations, birth control pills, infections, inflammation, anemia, Lyme disease, allergies, etc...some of the causes are serious and others will go away on their own.

I am not a doctor of course, but I wonder if it is possible to figure out the cause of your high platelets and treat that rather than the high platelets. Do you know what is causing the high platelets?

I hope the aspirin will work for you.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote