View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppiesspecialneeds View Post
I would have never thought that any state would consider ferrets dangerous.
It really is strange. There seems to be a general hysteria in some places.

Some site a "vicious nature" of ferrets, while others say that if pet ferrets get loose they may become feral and decimate the local wildlife.

Pet ferrets are domesticated, and have been sited in Egyptian writing. They no longer have any way to survive in the wild. Pet ferrets released into the wild die quickly from lack of food and water, or from not recognizing the need to hide from predators. They don't live long enough to become feral.

Each year, a lot of dog bites are reported, many that cause injuries that require medical care. Pet ferrets don't bite that hard, or that often. So why don't people fear and ban dogs? (I love dogs, and am not saying they should be feared or banned.)

I was once in a restaurant with my little ferret safe in her car carrier. I was seated at a booth, with her car carrier on the seat between me and the wall. The waitress asked what animal I had, and when she heard it was a ferret, she was shocked and fearful. I assured her that ferrets are quite friendly and make very good pets.

About half an hour later, a little girl, about 4, who was seated across the room, screamed that my ferret bit her. The father brought her over to my table and demanded that the waitress call the police, animal control, and the health department. I assured him that my ferret hadn't gotten out of her carrier, and that neither of us had been within 10 feet of his daughter. He was irrational by then, and wouldn't hear anything I said. Finally, I asked him to show me her injury so I could spray it with a disinfectant. The little girl put up her arm, and showed a beautiful, healthy pink arm. No bite marks, no scratches, no marks at all.

That quieted things down, but I paid my bill and got away from them as quickly as possible. People are pretty irrational about ferrets sometimes.
JBishop09az is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote