View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

How will this bill, if enacted effect the cost of helmets?

I would like to see all helmets sold to include information about the risks of head injury both with and without a helmet. Helmets are valuable safety devices but often create an improper sense of safety that allows an increased risk behavior.

An important statement would be something like:
Wearing a properly fitted and tested helmet will help REDUCE head injury.

It also should include information about the speeds the helmet is tested for. The protection needed in higher speed activities (downhill racing, snow mobiles) is much different than the protection needed in slower activities (snowboard, half pipe) Also, it should included information about concussion and the need to seek early treatment.

I would rather see a public well educated with good information than an misinformed public expecting the government to protect their brains with certification standards.

A well educated public with good information wearing well certified helmets would be the best.

I have worn a helmet while skiing for 9 years. I do not expect it to provide much protection to my damaged brain in a major fall. I do expect it to help with the skier-snowboarder collisions that are a growing risk.

btw, I know of three people who have suffered serious head injuries snowmobiling with top notch helmets. The first was killed by the head injury. More than a decade later, his daughter suffered a serious concussion but recovered to a good function. A few years later, her young son is still recovering from his concussion. The grandson was injured on the same day of the year that his grandfather died.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote