View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 10:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Dear jennifer d,
I wanted to email you privately but can't find the stupid button to do so. If you want to do that it would be great. All I can say is it is a joke here in PA and from what I've heard over the years you are lucky if you get about 60K from them. Sometimes before they settle they will want you to do a 4 hour test or something. I am bedridden pretty much with full-body RSD and that was not an option I could do but had to settle. It was a joke for sure. The one thing I would have done differently is to have them give you monthly payments forever instead of a lump sum. Here in PA the social security disability considers that settlement as income and subtracts it for years from your monthly amount. So, there were months I only received $174.00 per month from SSD and had to dig into my savings to just live each month. It has been a mess.

The interesting info I have learned is that there are civilian cases where people ONLY have RSD in one part of their body and have received 15 million (yes, take yourself off the floor) and I want to cry each day cause I got peanuts for sure because it is workers comp. I don't know who made these rules up but they were either paid by workers comp or it was workers comp themselves. So not only are we in pain, lost our jobs, our families, friends, lives in general we now get the shaft for settlements too. All I can say (to rationalize this in my head) is that God has great plans for all of us for all the suffering we do each day. If you have any questions and feel like PMing me feel free to do so. Good luck. Stick to your guns and if they come in low tell them no way and make it higher.
kathy d

Quote:
Originally Posted by traevin View Post
I've had RSD for nearly three years. It's so debilitating and painful that I haven't been able to return to work and there's no telling when or if that day will ever arrive. My Worker's Comp people are getting fed up with me, mainly because I'm not responding to any treatments and it looks like I might have to get another operation on the same injured knee that led to the RSD in the first place. Long story short, they want to settle.

I haven't received a dollar amount from them yet but I'm thinking that it's right around the corner. My question to you is:

For you RSD sufferers who have received settlements through Worker's Comp, what's a reasonable ballpark figure? Some (or most) of you might not want to discuss this on a forum but perhaps you wouldn't mind emailing me privately.

I'm afraid the insurance company will give me a low-ball figure and because I wouldn't know a good settlement amount from a bad one, I'm hoping that with your help, I can respond to their proposition from a position of strength instead of ignorance.

Thanks in Advance,

Jennifer D.
kathy d is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kakimbo (01-26-2010), RNcrps2 (02-03-2010)