View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You sound like me. I had terrible sporadic ear aches for about 3 years and was constantly told it was inner ear trouble/infection, etc. I didn't believe it because they were so sporadic. Every 3 months or so. After a really bad episode, I agreed to see an ENT. Of course there was no infection, and after two MRI on my head, there was nothing to be found. They then sent me to a Neuro doc that was a real jerk and he diagnosed me with Atypical TN. He wrote it down on a notepad and handed it to me (laughing to himself) and told me to go home and look it up. Of course, when I read about it I was terrified. I went to 3 different doctors for another opinion and unfortunately they were all in agreement.

My pain is very mild I'm sure compared to most folks here. Episodes occur about once a week now, sometimes 2 -3 days in a row, and last for 4 - 8 hrs. each time. The pain is centered in my right ear and the immediate surrounding area. Very tender to the touch with a constant hot boring pain deep into my ear, along with intermittent ice pick jabs. I take 200 mg. "Carbatrol" (extended release tegretol) whenever I have an attack, but don't take them on a daily basis yet. My heat pad applied to the side of my face helps more than anything else.

I have not experienced the bad taste you describe, but do experience phantom smells - specifically like marijuana - of all things.

Not much help to you, but wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one to question this diagnosis.

Good Luck!

Rhonda
Bassetcase is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote