View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default School Options

My daughter is also 15, a sophomore, just shy of 6 month mark with PCS. I'm so sorry you are going through this. It really, really stinks. Thankfully my daughter hasn't had to leave school, but I have a few thoughts.

Does your district or state offer academics on-line or other on-line credit redemption? If so, could she go back, at least part time, for some socializing, but forget about getting passing grades and make things up in the summer? On-line you could help her through it (I'm not ashamed to say that I've written a few reports for her lately, read textbooks out loud, etc.). Finally, does your district offer home tutoring services?

A true lifesaver for my daughter was learning that the library offers books that you can download straight to your i pod. We also got all of her teachers to agree to drop memorizing vocabulary words.

Finally, we visited a psychologist who treats college athletes with concussions. She said she has sent patients to ivy league colleges whose grades had suffered due to concussions by writing an explanatory letter to go along with their transcripts. She believes it shows "perseverance through adversity." Extreme understatement in my view

Best of luck to you and your daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancys View Post
My daughter is 15 and a freshman in high school. She been out of school for 3 months due to PCS issues. We just completed a round of neuro-psych testing and test the detailed reports next week. She has executive function issues that will impact her learning when she is ready to return to school. The physical issues are more limiting then the cognitive ones right now.

The school is fabulous and will provide any accommodations that she needs. In working with the school, our initial plan was to have her return 2nd semester, adjust the schedule (which is perfect) and waive a couple of classes, figure out how to get credit with special projects in others and give her full credit in a couple of other if she passed the final. All of this was great - except she is not ready to go back - not even part time.

What have other parents done? Have you pulled your kids from school? Did you have them repeat the year?
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote