View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 01:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post

1. Eating. One neuro told us protein completely blocks the sinemet so that you don't get it at all, the effect is the same as if you didn't even take the drug. Today neuro #2 tells us no, the protein merely delays the drug getting into the brain, but it does get in there. What is your take on this? We feel neuro #1 is correct-if we eat any protein during the day, the whole day is pretty much shot.

2. Vision. Neuro #1 told us our vision problems were cause by the lack of the eyes to converge like they used to, due to low dopamine. Clearly PD related. Today neuro #2 says nope, it's just fatigue. Has nothing to do with the PD. His advice? Close the eyes and rest them for a bit. OK-dokey.

3. Pain. Another eye-popper. All the back and neck pain we have? Neuro #1says its the PD: neuro #2 is telling us we have bad posture and need to do stretching exercises, it's not PD related at all. What the $#!

4. My favorite contradiction of the day (and it's not even lunchtime!): med dosing. We were trying to split med doses up so that we were taking them hourly, to minimize the peaks between sinemet dosages and the sleepiness side effect of Mirapex. Neuro #1 says great, that's the best/"optimal" way to take the drugs if you can stick with that schedule, because it is an even distribution of the meds (as even as we can get without a pump or patch). So he is pleased.

Problem is, hourly med schedules are damn near impossible to stick with. We have had to switch to a two hour schedule, which we discussed with Neuro #2 today...his comment: there's no real difference or need to take the meds on an hourly basis as opposed to every two hours, no difference at all. What? Does anyone here have any experience that would indicate better symptomatic relief on a one versus two hour schedule?

These two guys are the top in our metropolitan area, so they are not hacks. Anyone have any thoughts on who is right?
Isn't it fun to have two completely different opinions? Makes healthcare all the more exciting!

Here's my take:

1) Protein - Some people are simply more sensitive to protein in regards to their meds than others. While I don't agree that protein COMPLETELY blocks the Sinemet, it certainly interferes with absorption for some people. Solution? Take you meds on an empty stomach prior to eating. I have a high protein diet and if I approach it this way, no issues whatsoever.

Winning doctor - Tie

2) Vision - Convergence is a typical PD symptom/problem. Dr. #2 is way off on this one.

Winning doctor - Dr. #1

3) Pain is clearly PD related from things like dystonia and simple muscle soreness from the lack of dopamine.

Winning doctor - Dr. #1

4) Med Dosing - Steadier, consistent dosing of meds is far superior than haphazard taking of them. However, it's a highly individual thing.

Winning doctor - Dr. #1

Score: Doctor #1 = 3, Doctor #2 = 0, one Tie

Run away from Dr. #2 and it sounds like you'll be in pretty good hands. Good luck!

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote