View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default oh boy where to begin? read to understand- please

hi peg,

i just cleaned up the first post some. the question was how does all this relate to pd and to pwp being given alzheimers drugs and the first need was to learn just what pseudocholinesterase deficiency was, because it [the cholinesterase enzymes regulate acetylcholine.]

Here's what i learned so far:

it is inherited. some say it can also be acquired tho ...lol..figures. contradiction.....

it is not of too great a concern - if you tell the anesthesiologist about it so they don't use succinylcholine during surgery. [can you tell this was written by a non patient geek or doctor? what if you don't know you have it? - franny sounds like she didn't]?

what happens if you don't know you have it is you stop breathing and have trouble waking after surgery. this is because you have a mega acetylcholine type drug, along with dsyfunctional enzymes that do not break it down. So another enzyme is breaking it down but slower -so you don't wake up for a longer period of time. muscles are paralyzed. but they have the machines to bring you back...unless you are a kid.....then you can easily die. Thus the warning.

otherwise , if you read the literature on it you'll see that it is rare.

now i have a different question - why did insecticide make franny sick?

i checked a can of REPEL - my husband takes my grandson to cubscout camping trips and guys are harder to get to use skin so soft. they will now..if i have to go along to make it happen.

The can doesn't tell you all of the ingredients, just lists the percentage of DEET which is 40% - almost half.

so i typed in a google search asking
"what are the ingredients in REPEL other than DEET?
got this and this of course is why franny got sick when it had nothing to do with surgery.........

Science News
Popular Insect Repellent Deet Is Neurotoxic
ScienceDaily (Aug. 6, 2009)

Vincent Corbel from the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement in Montpellier, and Bruno Lapied from the University of Angers, France, led a team of researchers who investigated the mode of action and toxicity of deet (N,N-Diethyl-3-methylbenzamide). Corbel said, "We've found that deet is not simply a behavior-modifying chemical but also inhibits the activity of a key central nervous system enzyme, acetycholinesterase, in both insects and mammals".

Discovered in 1953, deet is still the most common ingredient in insect repellent preparations

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0804193230.htm

so the DEET rendered the enzyme cholinesterase dysfunctional,[even more so but they already are dysfunctional in PSACheD] just like aricept and exelon do.....increasing acetylcholine which poisoned franny , making her sick. what else was happening with franny? her dopamine was slowed or stopped. now franny has pd.

I'm sure we all have had multiple exposures to various pesticides. do we have to have the inherited form of pseudocholinesterase deficiency for it to be permanent damage?

do people with pseudocholinesterase deficiency have cognition exceptionalities of any kind?

this is right on the can of insect repellant...... messing with our neurotransmitters is dangerous stuff......franny has clearly met the requirments for the suspected causes of pd...genetic mutation and neurotoxic exposure.

franny has anyone questioned you about this connection? i'll call it PACHeD for shortening and if you would can you please describe your symptoms when you got sick from the insect spray?

thanks so much franny. i felt weird and out of line to even bring this up because i don't know what i am talking about. this is a perfect example of everything i have been saying, and now i know it's just another day of what leads me to do so many things......can you think of anything else that made you sick along with insect repellant? how long did you feel sick at each exposure?

has anyone else had this kind of experience? franny i hope you can ask other family members. do any of them have conditions like pd?

i'm off to see my grandson's teacher. here's an important question and i just thought of it moving sequentially in thought about this.

Do you or have you ever taken an anticholinergic for pd. Logically, it might make you feel better because they help to regulate acetlycholine. this would include artane, cogentin, and there is another oommon one. also nortriptyline, which works on pain and depression. if so can you tell if it helped your pd symptoms?

thanks monstrously much,
paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."

Last edited by paula_w; 01-26-2010 at 06:20 PM.
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote