View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 04:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

1. Eating.
Protein interferes with absorption; not completely block it. I think this is highly individual and depends on disease duration, from what I have read. Neither is entirely correct.

2. Vision.
Doctor #1 is correct. Google "convergence and Parkinson's" in Scholar. It's in all the standard medical texts- first reported in 1999. Run, do not walk, from Dr. 2

3. Pain.
DUH! Dr. #1 wins round three.

4. My favorite contradiction of the day (and it's not even lunchtime!): med dosing.

This is why Duodopa is in clinical trials (pump infusion of levodopa directly into small intestine) in US. Benefits: steady, lowest possible dose of levodopa, no to little dyskinesia, no protein interference. May even be neuroprotective as it is much more in line with how our neurons functioned when healthy. A dream, right? Wrong. It's been in use for 5 years in Northern Europe; in UK it will be "end stage" treatment only supposedly due to costs. This is the kicker...in order to qualify for the pump, you must be rejected as a candidate for brain surgery?!? This is absurd as the Doctor #2.

I think the one vs. two hour schedule depends on what your PWP's body needs. I tend to stay ahead of the game by overlapping doses at 2 or 3 hour mark the second I notice a wearing off, so it's based on trying to keep ahead of symptoms. It's rather like taking pain meds so the paid doesn't emerge. Once they emerge full bloom, it's really hard to get meds up and running again. Now that I think of it...I need to write Solvay and get some answers.
is right?[/QUOTE]

Hands down, I'd choose Doctor #1- this person is up on their research but not so over the top with it that he does not take into consideration patients and clinical practice- he's in touch with the real world. See above for specifics.
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote