View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response.

The neuro opthamologist really dismissed the visual evoked potential results. I will have her try closing her eyes, multiple forms of input, and the trick of reading with only one line visible. Does that eventually heal?

As for how we discuss her recovery...At first I would say things like, "Oh, you'll be back on the court in no time" and I asked her how she was feeling every five minutes. But I've learned to just treat her like I did before all this happened and let things unfold as they will. If she mentions something I respond as calmly as possible, regardless of how much I might be panicking on the inside. Hard to remain calm when your child says, "you know, I really can't read anymore". I'm not going to lie...I've had my moments of denial and sheer terror. I have had to go back a few years in terms of monitoring her bedtime, her nutrition, scheduling, etc. It's tough to balance things without being too over-involved.

I like your idea of ear plugs for determining if foot impacts are jarring her head. I've noticed other things that I think might be telling me the same things, for example how quickly she runs up the stairs now as opposed to a month or two months ago (well now she runs, before she walked) and how much she moves her head around or rolls her eyes when she's telling me stories about her day.

I struggle with the journal. I've been keeping one for her since the injury, but we don't really talk about it. As you said, I don't want her to start keeping score or obsessing about every symptom. As an "insider" do you think I should share it with her? She knows I'm doing it, she just has shown no interest in looking at it. I just jot down if she mentions a symptom or not.

As for sports, she probably will not play basketball again, or pole vault for goodness sake, and I think she's starting to come to terms with that. Volleyball is questionable...she would really love to run again. We'll see what happens. We aren't concerned with the Impact Test anymore, but it was an invaluable tool in helping us and her coaches to realize that she had a concussion.

She's always been one to let her mind wander (she's the blah, blah, blah...oh look a bird! blah, blah type) so as bad as this sounds it's kind of hard to tell what's a deficit and what is normal for her in terms of concentration. I will look around on here for more info on the neuro cognitive test.

Thanks again.
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote