View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default It is a treatment that must be carefully handled....

and how it is administered is as important as what is administered. I have been treated with IVIG for 6+ years and have had only one bad reaction to it..Which I believe was due to an improperly prepared batch. I receive it monthly and it's not a 'drug' per se? It's a blood product -a part of the blood that helps alleve demeyelination of those nerves. I have been treated in the hospital setting [one ususally starts out here or in a doctor's offices], and as I said, have had only one bad reaction. I now have an infusion port put in [this winter] to make it easier to be 'infused'. Right now infusions are at home but, typically the first infusions are done in hospitals due to the possibility of any reaction. This part of the issue you should discuss with your physician and in depth. As your husband has Alzheimers' and that change in environment might be as much or more upsetting as the infusion process itself.
I myself felt some relief from pain after my first 'round' of four days. Now I receive my dose split over two days and it takes about 2-3 hours each day. My having it administered at home is helpful as well, as I have to pre-medicate w/3 benedryl and I'm not worth much after the benedryl other than having a 'hangover' of sorts. I also KNOW how far EMT's are from my house to nearest hospital and I feel perfectly safe with that and my VERY knowledgable infusion nurse!
I agree with glenntaj that you check out the Peripheral Neuropathy forum and I'd encourage you to check out this site: http://www.igliving.com/ And sign up for the 'e-zine' The on line version of their magazine - which is free and you don't get on pesky mailing lists.
I've also found the people there to be amazing in the different ways they can help.... getting information, IG supplies and other problems one mite have with being on IVIG. All the back issues of the magazine are available thru the 'e-zine' and they are useful to check out, but without the bulk of PAPER.
Don't be afraid to ask questions! Of your doctors and of us! Keep faith and take care of yourself along the way! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
joanne7777 (01-27-2010)