View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I find this subject very interesting… I have suffered from fibro and also pain due to Spina Bifida Occulta for my entire life. I was diagnosed with fibro over 20 years ago but have had symptoms since I was a teenager. I also suffer from PTSD. I will be 56 this coming June.

Management of my pain using Rx’s only started when I was diagnosed with fibro. When young I hurt all the time but didn’t talk to anyone even my parents about it…thought it was just part of life, who would have thought?

I have moments during my days when I feel not too bad. However, I am on Rx’s to get me to that point. It all depends on the weather and what I’m trying to accomplish and many other stressors. I am my husband’s fulltime caregiver and also have my 86 year old Mom living with us.

My honey…referred to as “the Olhipie”, here on NT was diagnosed almost 24 years ago with Multiple Sclerosis. He is the best…he can’t care for me only to support me and make me take it easy. People ask if MS shortens life…doc says you won’t die from MS. My husband’s best friend has ALS and is close to leaving this life…he is totally paralyzed, hasn’t been able to eat or talk for four years and has had machine breathing for him for three years. In every email he writes his closing remarks are “Things could be worse”.

I have never heard or been told that chronic pain will cause any shortness of life. I think it might depend on the origin of pain…don’t know. This I do know is that quality of life is important…I have been in pain all my life so quality has been what I have made it. I have never been able to climb mountains, ski or play any sports. However, I am a spectator of all sports and love being of the crowd and enjoying the emotions of the sport! My honey can’t walk but because of some really great people he can ski!

I have been reading as many articles as I can to help me to know how to answer this question…did not find anything.

Last week I had some days that all I could do was curl up and have what I call a cave day…so much pain! I still love life and my family too much to want it to end it because of what I suffer from. Life is what you make of it! I’m not angry because of the things I couldn’t do when growing or since I have grown up. My joy comes from being with those I love and who love me….

Hot sure what else to say….Please take time to enjoy the very small things in life because you can!

I hope to get to know you all a little better….remember, things could be worse!

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote