View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 12:47 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Nancy,

What do you mean by <If I could just get her to sleep well enough - then she'd be able to handle part if a day in school. >?

Do you observe her sleep behavior? Does she have any standard routine for sleep?

Sleep has been a big issue for me since my injury. I have a number of observations that I could share once you help me understand her sleep issues.

Regarding help with her schooling, Just because she goes to a private school does not mean she does not have access to services as a disabled student. Whether it requires dual enrollment (probably does so that the local district can get state ADA moneys) or not, she should have access to the same services as a public school student.

Depending on the state, homeschool families sometimes access the state services under the disability provisions of the ed codes.

When somebody says "She looks fine," remind them that she is one of the millions of invisible wounded in this country. Their support of her needs will go a long way toward helping society reduce its marginalization of the brain injured.

Studies suggest that upwards of 80% of incarcerated and homeless persons are brain injured. Our society tends to kick them to the curb because they do not look hurt. There are many brain injured who are only a disability check and high utility bill away from homelessness.

My best to your daughter, Hugs to all,

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote