View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I have had IVIG both in home and at an infusion center. Either is fine. At the infusion center, they draw blood everytime, so I feel better monitored. I believe I have had aseptic meningitis from it, but it manifests as a very, very bad headache. In general, I don't have them very often. My kidneys are monitored monthly. During infusion, blood pressure is taken frequently. IVIG dumps a lot of protein into the system. The kidneys have to clear it. If kidney function is impaired prior to IVIG, then there is a higher risk of complications.

I am 57, and have to fight to get IVIG. I have had neuropathy since my mid 40's. I have autoimmune disease. I still have a 16 year old at home. I give thanks every day that I am privileged enough to get IVIG. Yet, I do have to fight to get it paid for. It costs roughly $8000 per infusion.

They are offering you a very expensive option, one that most people have to fight very hard to get.

I have had no major issues with IVIG, but each infusion is different because one gets antibodies from up to 10,000 people. I would hardly characterize IVIG as having 'deadly' side effects.

I am not sure what going to additional neurologists will gain you. No one can predict what the reaction to any treatment will be. IVIG is very, very hard to get. Most insurance companies fight you tooth and nail. Doctors have to substantiate why they are ordering it for you. Even then, many people get denied by insurance.

Unfortunately, there is little certainty in life, and no one can promise anything is risk free, however, IVIG, is certainly one of the safer options, and usually well tolerated. The big drawback is expense.

I would think your husband has more to gain than lose from IVIG.

Others not so bad:
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
perla (05-27-2010)