View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 03:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for taking the time and responding. The first time I event heard of the word CIDP and IVIG was fourteen days ago. I feel that six years ago when the neuropathy first manifested itself is when more should have been done. We were told that it was a neuropathy and quite often a cause is never found, live with it. So now six years later, when it is chronic, I am upset with myself that we did not have a second and third opinion over these years. I'm wondering why the possibility of GBS/CIDP had never been mentioned. . So this is why I want to be really, really, informed; this is why I sound so distrustful of any one doctor's opinion. Also, I have been told, that doctors often receive a "kick back" when prescribing medications. I don't know this doctor, have only met with him twice and don't want to be cynical, and yet I don't want to be naive.
Fortunately, obtaining IVIG treatment, without having to battle with the insurance company, hasn't been an issue here. So that is something I am being spared. NO ONE, should ever have to fight, for a drug that could help and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Access to good health care and medicines should not be for some but should be for all.
Anyway, we are going to a third neuro this afternoon for his opinion. It makes me feel better. I appreciate you mentioning that you may have had aseptic meningitis (so sorry that happened to you.) This is something that, from what I have read, can be caused by a fast transfusion rate? And it makes sense that, when someone's brain is already in a weakened condition, the last thing they need is aseptic meningitis, because it could very possibly, cause a more rapid decline to one who is already on that path. And that would be something we do not want to happen. So, now I feel that infusion should be given at a slower rate, in order to take no chances. And this is something I will discuss today during the visit.
Because of prior misdiagnosis, non- diagnosis, and doctors who have made serious mistakes, concerning other issues in regards to the both of us, etc. I just have to gain all the knowledge I can in order to feel comfortable in making any medical decisions.

Thanks again, for your reply.
joanne7777 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote