View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

As a Canadian, I can't speak to the complexity of health insurance in the States. However, even here in the land of socialized medicine, we are being driven into ruin trying to cover all the "uninsured services." As brain injury isn't a priority, there are lots of those.

I wonder if the Brain Injury Association of America (BIAA)www.biausa.org might have any useful tips. If not, they are still a wonderful source for other information and support.

Speaking of support, the BIAA has support groups all over the States. There are support groups for patients and caregivers. Reading your posts, I think you really deserve some support in your efforts. You're doing a tough job and it's important not to forget to take care of yourself.

On that score, I wanted to thank you for being there for your daughter. I know it's not easy. We TBI patients are difficult. We can be perpetually ill, short tempered and, frankly, quite different from the person you knew and loved before. As you said, we often lack volition, leaving our caregivers to always be the proactive one who has to lead the charge.

It's frightening being a TBI victim. As Mark said, often unable to support ourselves, ours is a precarious existence. You should pat yourself on the back because most people won't/can't do what you're doing. In the case of my brain injury, over 80% of marriages end in divorce.

You're special.

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote