View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I think it is rather appalling that the drug companies do not instruct doctors on how to taper off a drug. We see all sorts of terrible reactions from SSRIs, SNRIs, tramadol, Neurontin, Lyrica, etc. The reason? They don't even know, I suspect!

The taper will have to be slightly different for each person. What I have read on the net is dizziness and extreme anxiety going off.
Some people report tapering during a week. I think that is too short a time for the brain to adjust. Since Lyrica is going for a FDA approval for anxiety, I'd follow a Benzo taper schedule for it. (Google Benzodiazepine taper and there are many).
Those typically take months, 3 months at least.

Those who don't have many side effects, going up on it, may not see a painful taper. However, many people probably would do best with a slow taper down.

The length of time you have taken Lyrica and the dose, will also factor into a taper. Higher doses over longer time need a slower taper. People only using it for a short time, may be able to get off it in a week or two (say if you only used it 3 mons).

So I don't think there is one answer that will apply to everyone. Sorry.

For the record, I typed in pregabalin taper into PubMed...no articles on how to do it.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote