View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 05:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukadog View Post
Can you tell me a bit about precautions: whether he can go to stores that have theft detector gates? Can you use a microwave at your home? I know these are silly little things compared with the possible benefits; I'm not concerned about giving anything up, but about whether little things can interfere with the device. Thanks again!
I have had an SCS implant for my left foot since 2003. Everyone's results are different, and I was 1000% sold on it when it first went in, but after a short while, the effectiveness ore off. I was told that happens sometimes - that the body "rewires" itself to get past the SCS stimulation and you go back to the same ol same old.

I can tell you, though, that the precautions you asked about are minimal. Microwave ovens are not a problem, nor are regular stores. I always (as a preventive measure) turn off my stimulator when I go shopping, especially at a mall where I will be in-and-out of stores a lot or if I will be going to a jewelry or leather goods store where they have their security cranked up a bit.

I have heard that some people leave theirs turned on while shopping with no problem.

I never allow the airport security to use their wands on the stimulator (or make me walk through the hoop.) I always ask for a hand-screening. The biggest chance of any problem would be damage to the unit, and then trying to get insurance to replace it. (Not to mention another surgery.)

Good luck with your decision.

Mike
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bobber (01-28-2010), loretta (01-28-2010)