View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Mrs. D and Cyclelops, it sounds like you all have a nice birdwatching area... We really enjoy the hummers in the Summer and have a feeder at the kitchen window. I love watching them and getting 'buzzed' by them when I am gardening.

We used to have wild turkeys when we first moved here, but over the years more houses have been built and you don't see them as frequently. The turkey vultures I have seen, especially near the farms. They are UGLY grounded but beautiful in flight.

A few lovelies I have seen in our back yard over the years that are somewhat unusual are:
Spotted Western Race (a pair comes every spring), Blue grosebeak, Brown Thrasher, Indigo Buntings and Pileated woodpeckers. The Indigo Buntings are especially beautiful.

When I was young and lived with my parents, we lived near a bird sanctuary in Ipswich, Massachusettes. It was on the Cape (Anne) and there were loads of year-round and migratory birds. It was my job to keep the feeders filled, LOL. That is when I developed an interest in watching birds and keeping track of them in the Peterson Field Guide.

Cyclelops, you will definitely enjoy your binoculars. I can be found on my deck in the spring and summer for hours watching the woods with my binoculars...

Mere

It's probably not too funny, but Cyclelops, I had to laugh when you said you friend got attacked by the Crane. I did not know that they were so territorial...
Mere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote